Never forget an RMDVanguard’s free RMD Service makes managing your RMD—from the calculation to the distribution—easy. Once you sign up for the service, we’ll calculate the amount you need to withdraw and automatically distribute your assets each year.
Quick readout on RMDs:
- Once you’re age 70½, you have to withdraw a minimum amount from all of your IRAs and retirement plans (except Roth IRAs) each year.
- You have to take your first RMD by April 1 of the year following the year you reach age 70½.
- Subsequent RMDs must be taken by December 31.
- You have to pay ordinary income taxes on the taxable portion you withdraw.
If you’re age 69½ or older, you can enroll in Vanguard’s RMD Service online:
Set up the service
- Log on to your account.
- Select Retirement contributions, distributions & RMDs.
- On the Required minimum distribution tab, select Set up automatic distributions.
- Choose the service option that will be applied to your RMD amount each year.
All investing is subject to risk, including the possible loss of the money you invest.